Emprismed Icons

Thursday, July 7, 2011

New Paintings in Progress

I'm training myself to continue to be as productive as possible with the new paintings. With the new process, I can't really pick up a blank primed panel and work "wet on wet". The new process involves thinking through the bottom layer of paint and letting it dry thoroughly until the second layer mixed with soft wax can be applied. Once the wax layer is applied, I can scratch, paint and work out the details of the piece. 

So now, paintings in their first state of drying are taking up the limited space in the kitchen and living room.  They are similar to the Sirens of Greek mythology in that the bright colors beckon attention, yet passing by the paintings in this state may bestow unwanted streaks of oil paint on clothing.

I have also been a perpetual work in progress, not solely in my world of creating artwork. Firstly, there is the marketing and social aspects of the art world that is necessary for the recognition that I want my art to have. Secondly, knowing that future art shows will allow me to eventually show the pieces prevents me from social isolation. Without the shows, where I am committed to participate, I run the risk of isolating myself to the kitchen where I paint in the comfort of my solitude. The actual painting process is a very isolating experience yet I am not at heart a hermit. 

Painting has also rescued me from almost certain mental breakdown, particularly this year. For me, nothing is worse than an idle mind with too much time to think and no creative project for the inner mind to work its cures. At some time during this blogging experience, I know I will not be as secretive about the circumstances that can plague me. Still, I also know the benefits of not dwelling on all the ugliness. Obsessing on the tragic is so toxic to the soul. 

Soon, blog world, I will be sharing more paintings. In two weeks there will be a 2 week recess as Dave and I have an adventure in Cambodia and Laos. I plan to capture as much visual material as possible to capture the memories and for use as possible source material for future paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment