Emprismed Icons

Monday, July 4, 2011

The new 2011-2012 series is underway: Emprismed Icons

The two previous posts were intended to quickly bring you up to date to this current series entitled, Emprismed Icons. You can see that the use of gold and silver leaf continues. I'm also using a bit of metallic paint.

I'm now experimenting with the addition of wax to the oil painting medium. This process allows me to scratch away at the painted surface. (I also like the analogy of finding things beneath the surface.) I've admired this process in other local artists' work. The process allows me to employ fine detail lines in the paintings.

It is also possible to see again, my fondness for cubism and use of color. Am I still a colorist? I hope so. Although, you might also detect that I have expanded my use of darks and lights within the same painting. The extremes of values will add more drama to these pieces.

Mmmm, there is something about the cobalt blues that I really love, especially in controlled amounts. The series title is very compatible with my style and will also allow me to develop more technique. While the cubist in me is very happy with the "prism" portion of the title, the "icon" portion will help me with the subject matter. In this series, I will explore what meaning and subconscious feelings accompany particular subject matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment