Emprismed Icons

Monday, August 22, 2011

Jacob and the Angel

Jacob and the Angel, (24" x 30", Oil on Canvas)

My friend Jerral suggested that I paint a scene with Jacob and Esau. As I did my research for the painting, I realized that I was more intrigued with Jacob wrestling with the Angel. I liked that emotional content and the metaphor of wrestling with inner conflict or change.

I am also bemused by the idea of multi-faceted faces. The cubist style suits my pursuit of angularity and seeing something from many points of view. In the case of faces, I love to give hints of the alter ego and subconscious mind by depicting the multi-faceted face. This is how I envision myself often as I think through the complexity of each day. What should I do first? What do I think about that? What is the best way to do something?

Artists through time have illustrated the scene of Jacob and the Angel with a range of aggression to passion. I chose the passionate route.

No comments:

Post a Comment