Emprismed Icons

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Ganesha, Remover of Obstacles

Ganesha, (Oil on Wood Panel, 18" x 24")

Ganesha is the elephant diety. Again I'm showing my growing fondness for elephants. I'm captivated by the story of Ganesha and how this diety came into existence with the head of an elephant and body of a man. 

I acknowledge the fact that elephants can be  fierce competitors---their sheer mass, a sneeze from the trunk and probably a flick from their tail would cause me physical harm. However, I admire the strength and power behind the "beast" and the restraint from using its power to harm others. When I saw these magnificent animals on our trip to Cambodia, the posture and smile conveyed to me, "Yes, I could hurt you but my choice is to be gentle."

No comments:

Post a Comment