Emprismed Icons

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Opportunity Mandala

Opportunity Mandala- Oil on Wood Panel, 11' X 14"

The process of creating a mandala is hypnotic and somewhat like spiritual chanting. However, instead of the repetition of sound, the process involves a repetition of form, color and line. As painting is already a trance-like exercise, the symmetrical and circular quality was an interesting experience.

My intentions of creating something more than a melded grouping of hummingbirds began as a process that was much more technical than something emotional and symbolic. Interestingly enough, without realizing it, I was thinking about the opportunities that will be heading my way.

Psychoanalist, Carl Jung thought mandalas were "a representation of the unconscious self." There is a truth that I recognize in this when I paint. Since all of my paintings essentially happen, I learned to trust my subconscious to guide my process. I'm interested in what feelings will emerge as I continue to create more mandalas, combined with recognizable subject matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment