Emprismed Icons

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Commissioned Piece (Two 4' x 6' Oil on Canvasses)

There was the backdrop of usual coffee shop noise, but I focused on Frank. My questions were met with eloquent answers and the future paintings germinated in my mind.

Colors of rust, black and yellow ochre, masculine movement, positive and bold. Optimistic!!!

"I'm maintaining my stride." "Getting on with life." "Not whispy and not pastel." 

The conversation distilled in my mind for several weeks before the texture was added. There, caught in the ripples of fluid, tactile lines, the images emerged. The first layers told me what to do--at least how to start this heartfelt piece.

Today there was a satisfied smile as Frank met his described vision for the first time. 

Frank's SUV made two trips to take the paintings home. Only one 4' x 6' could squeeze diagonally into the cargo hold. We walked each canvas up through the parking garage, then up the elevator. I was handed the apartment keys and the paintings were set against the prepared wall. Two spot lights illuminated the paint and the red, in particular, popped! 


No comments:

Post a Comment